Christian Lego Fans Wiki
All Contributors
Obi the LEGO Fan
LinkCelestrial
Gordax
Skull5657
Ihaveawiixboxds
Riolu777
Jdude420
+6
• 4/24/2013

Favorite Authors and Books and Meaningful or Funny Quotes...

Corrie ten Boom is one of my most favorite authors...most of these quotes were written while in a concentration camp during WWII. If you haven't read "The Hiding Place" I encourage you to do so. I have read it several times, it's that good. :)

“If you look at the world, you'll be distressed. If you look within, you'll be depressed. If you look at God you'll be at rest.”  ― Corrie ten Boom

“Do you know what hurts so very much? It's love. Love is the strongest force in the world, and when it is blocked that means pain. There are two things we can do when this happens. We can kill that love so that it stops hurting. But then of course part of us dies, too. Or we can ask God to open up another route for that love to travel.”  ― Corrie ten BoomThe Hiding Place 

“You can never learn that Christ is all you need, until Christ is all you have.” 

― Corrie ten Boom

“Hold everything in your hands lightly, otherwise it hurts when God pries your fingers open.” 


― Corrie ten Boom

“It is not my ability, but my response to God’s ability, that counts.”  ― Corrie ten Boom

I could just put the entire book here..lol.  

(edited by administrators)
2 122
  • Upvote
  • Reply
Obi the LEGO Fan
LinkCelestrial
Gordax
Skull5657
Ihaveawiixboxds
Riolu777
Jdude420
+6
1
• 5/15/2013
Skull5657 wrote:
O_O What is this debate about? Such long posts.... TS

It's about Harry Potter being evil or not. I personally don't think it is, but I'm too lazy to argue my point. :P Plus, even if you're arguing the truth, it's very hard to beat Obi in an argument. :P

0
• 5/15/2013

Oh... My parents think that. I somewhat agree with Obi and them but well.. IDK.. I've actually never read the books and only seen parts of the movies. TS

0
• 5/15/2013

Ihaveawiixboxds wrote:

Skull5657 wrote:
O_O What is this debate about? Such long posts.... TS

It's about Harry Potter being evil or not. I personally don't think it is, but I'm too lazy to argue my point. :P Plus, even if you're arguing the truth, it's very hard to beat Obi in an argument. :P

XD

That's oversimplifying things. Depends a lot on what you mean by "evil". I've mainly been arguing that they can be dangerous.

0
• 5/15/2013
Obi the LEGO Fan wrote:

Ihaveawiixboxds wrote:

Skull5657 wrote:
O_O What is this debate about? Such long posts.... TS
It's about Harry Potter being evil or not. I personally don't think it is, but I'm too lazy to argue my point. :P Plus, even if you're arguing the truth, it's very hard to beat Obi in an argument. :P
XD

That's oversimplifying things. Depends a lot on what you mean by "evil". I've mainly been arguing that they can be dangerous.

Which I now see is true. I do believe that most of us would be okay to read them, just look at them (and pretty much everything else) with a skeptical eye.

0
• 5/15/2013

@Obi,

I've been thinking about it quite a bit. I want to have life on other planets ect, so this was a problem to fit in with a Christian world view. Currently i'm thinking that life originated on earth, and through the developement of genetics different 'types' of human where created. However while this was in progress the government banned genetic manipulation of humans. So various companies and such sent everything away on spaceships. Vala, life on other planets. Through this 'magic' was created. So basically it's a born with trait created by humans. I'm also planning on showing alot of the dark side of messing with genetics. Does this sound acceptable? (It's not completely ironed out.)

0
• 5/15/2013

Hey, Obi, my book also contains a type of "magic," but it's natural. Do you have any suggestions as to what is the best way to tell the reader that the magic is created by a higher being?

Should I blatantly tell it through the narrative or dialogue, or should I strongly imply it by the same or other means? It's a kinda dumb question, but oh well. TS

1
• 5/16/2013

Boyoboy8 wrote: @Obi,

I've been thinking about it quite a bit. I want to have life on other planets ect, so this was a problem to fit in with a Christian world view. Currently i'm thinking that life originated on earth, and through the developement of genetics different 'types' of human where created. However while this was in progress the government banned genetic manipulation of humans. So various companies and such sent everything away on spaceships. Vala, life on other planets. Through this 'magic' was created. So basically it's a born with trait created by humans. I'm also planning on showing alot of the dark side of messing with genetics. Does this sound acceptable? (It's not completely ironed out.)

So, basically, this "magic" is really some sort of enhanced capability achieved by genetic manipulation? Something like Captain America? If so, I think that would be very different than the occult, so it should be fine. That does bring up whole other issues, of course. But as you stated the intent to portray the problems with "playing God" and trying to create new species, it should be okay.

1
• 5/16/2013

Gordax wrote: Hey, Obi, my book also contains a type of "magic," but it's natural. Do you have any suggestions as to what is the best way to tell the reader that the magic is created by a higher being?

Should I blatantly tell it through the narrative or dialogue, or should I strongly imply it by the same or other means? It's a kinda dumb question, but oh well. TS

Well, the best way to show it would probably be to portray certain characters as sent by the higher being who created the magic. For example, the Istari were sent to ME by the Valar, who had been sent by Eru. The characters should be strongly associated with God, to show that their power is derived thusly.

Another very important thing is what not to include. Make sure that the magic bears no resemblance to the occult, or any occult practices/activities. Make sure nothing in your stories would encourage people to try something bad by emulating characters you portray in a favorable light. Make sure not to endear or make light of anything similar to the occult.

If you have a good opportunity, you could say it straight out; maybe in a dialogue between characters in which a wise old man was explaining magic to someone. TS

Another good thing would be to have an example of occultish powers, but being wielded by an extremely vile and evil character. Tolkien did that quite nicely with the Mouth of Sauron.

0
• 5/16/2013
Obi the LEGO Fan wrote:

Boyoboy8 wrote: @Obi,

I've been thinking about it quite a bit. I want to have life on other planets ect, so this was a problem to fit in with a Christian world view. Currently i'm thinking that life originated on earth, and through the developement of genetics different 'types' of human where created. However while this was in progress the government banned genetic manipulation of humans. So various companies and such sent everything away on spaceships. Vala, life on other planets. Through this 'magic' was created. So basically it's a born with trait created by humans. I'm also planning on showing alot of the dark side of messing with genetics. Does this sound acceptable? (It's not completely ironed out.)

So, basically, this "magic" is really some sort of enhanced capability achieved by genetic manipulation? Something like Captain America? If so, I think that would be very different than the occult, so it should be fine. That does bring up whole other issues, of course. But as you stated the intent to portray the problems with "playing God" and trying to create new species, it should be okay.

Okay, thank you very much for your input.

0
• 5/16/2013

Boyoboy8 wrote:

Obi the LEGO Fan wrote:

Boyoboy8 wrote: @Obi,

I've been thinking about it quite a bit. I want to have life on other planets ect, so this was a problem to fit in with a Christian world view. Currently i'm thinking that life originated on earth, and through the developement of genetics different 'types' of human where created. However while this was in progress the government banned genetic manipulation of humans. So various companies and such sent everything away on spaceships. Vala, life on other planets. Through this 'magic' was created. So basically it's a born with trait created by humans. I'm also planning on showing alot of the dark side of messing with genetics. Does this sound acceptable? (It's not completely ironed out.)

So, basically, this "magic" is really some sort of enhanced capability achieved by genetic manipulation? Something like Captain America? If so, I think that would be very different than the occult, so it should be fine. That does bring up whole other issues, of course. But as you stated the intent to portray the problems with "playing God" and trying to create new species, it should be okay.

Okay, thank you very much for your input.

Any time! :)

Write a reply...